Friday, December 11, 2009

time respect

Something I find interesting is how people in college, doesn’t matter what year they are, will still be late to class and not care about it. High school is suppose to have thought them otherwise, but clearly something was left out. Why is it that people decide that it’s ok to stay up and party and go to class at least 30 minutes late after class started? When in high school, classes tend to be very close to one another, about a few minutes apart for walking distance. Are students finding that teachers and professors alike are lenient enough to just allow this to happen? I for one do not like this at all. This shows disrespect to the teacher who is trying to have a class. I understand that sometimes one will be late because of reasons, but just because you wake up late, decided to talk with your friend in the hall, or just left your room when the class starts is just not a good habit. I always try my best to get to class before it starts, but every now and then I find myself late for class and I don’t feel any good for doing that. Even then, at the most I’m late for about 5 minutes, not 30.
In college I understand that it’s the new feeling of being on your own, at least for the first semester, but then you find yourself deep in homework, behind in your classes, and your professors don’t necessarily like you for the way you act. Why do people decide, “Oh the teacher likes me so it’s ok if I’m late”. No, this is just wrong; the professor will not enjoy your presence if this is to happen. This big gap that is supposed to be between senior year of high school and freshman year of college has disappeared. There is no gap, just the two ends now meeting to be one straight line that has created students that aren’t as time oriented as before. All this talk of college will be tougher, while true, at some levels is the same as high school, until you decide that college is for you and you advance to higher level classes and then decide you’re in the wrong major.
In the past I believe that college was college. Those that were serious about learning and getting the best job went there to get the education. Has this changed? Well not really. People are still going there to learn more about a topic that they enjoy, but does anyone really know what they want anymore? I don’t think so because there are so many people that keep flip flopping their preferred majors. This wasted time causes more money lost and therefore more wasted time. Is this a result of high school education that is glamorizing some majors over others, don’t forget the media though, they glamorize a lot too, but do students really know what they are getting into? I think that high schools need to start teaching students more about what each type of major is like, at least in a broad way that would inform the student much better than the knowledge that they have now. For example, I didn’t feel that I knew much about my major when I first chose it. It really took my English course for me to more fully understand exactly what I was doing even though no other course really told me anything. This to me is strange how English class taught me what computer engineering was because it was the only class that forced me to do a project that for me to do a good enough jobs, I had to learn about this major for college. I think that a small course should be dedicated to help students pick a major that could be added to their senior year. Whatever a solution, something should be done because people tend to pick their classes by how well one form of media glamorizes it, not by what it can do for them because it is at their strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment